Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lookee What They Were Giving Away at the Kodak Booth {Project 365}

Every profession has their own version of a trade show. This past weekend I went to the annual Imaging USA convention put on by the Professional Photographers of America.

Most photographers flocked to the free bags and the free lanyards and the free coupons for print products. And while I did collect my fair share of reusable bags upon which various logos for camera lens brands, print labs, and insurance companies were printed; I did also flock to the abandoned Kodak booth. They were giving away free film. Most of the other photographers walked on by. But I approached them several times to collect my complimentary roll of film.

At first I approached them in my black jacket. Then I came back an hour later only without the jacket and with my hair in a ponytail lest they think I was returning for more ill-gotten film. The third time I sent my 12-year-old daughter who shrugged her shoulders and giggled when they questioned her about what kind of camera she used that she would need a roll of Tri-X 400 120 film.

I think they caught on that it was me sending her through and going through multiple times on my own. Frankly, there weren't many people requesting the free film.

But film is a rare commodity lately. Once upon a time Kodak was a power house in the camera industry. They were the leaders on the block. But several bad decisions in the beginning of the digital craze sent them to the back of the line in photography.

I've been playing around with some vintage cameras -- an amazing Zeiss as well as my new Graflex.

I can hardly wait to pop a roll in them and get started! I'll be sure to share with you what I capture.

Lisa On Location Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment