Friday, July 2, 2010

Welcome to my Garage


Before1web
Originally uploaded by lisablaschke
What do you think? Can you picture a photo studio in this space? Jayme and I are on a mission. To turn it into a super cool studio. It was Jayme's idea. He's been calling around to find prices for spaces around town. Old houses, downtown lofts. All are in the enormously overpriced range. And while the allure of the big open warehouses with the hardwood floors and big picture windows is appealing, it's just not in our meager photo budget at this time. So Jayme approached me during one of our long conference hours last weekend while we were twiddling our fingers and wondering what to do. Here's how the conversation went.

Jayme: So I've been thinking about those spaces I told you about for studios.

Me: Yeah, go on.

Jayme: Well you know the cost of a storage space is only about $75 a month, compared to the cost of those studios at about $2,000 a month.

Me: I am not setting up a studio in a storage space.

Jayme: It's not for the studio, it's for all the crap in our garage.

Me: PTHPTHS! (This is where I laugh and snort Diet Pepsi out of my nose -- because that's all they had in the soda machine at the conference).

Jayme: Hear me out.

So I listened to his plan -- his promise to get rid of the hordes of Star Wars toy boxes he's held onto for 30 years, his promise to get rid of the exercise bike he hasn't used in 7 years, his plans for the perfect backdrop area, the floors to be sealed and stained, the walls to be painted for perfect white balance, the shelves emptied of all the Christmas decorations and replaced with props and equipment. I listened and I liked.

I started tackling this disaster the other day. I meant to shoot a before photo before I started but I forgot. This before image was actually taken after I'd spent about 3 hours filling our dumpster, our recycle bin and my minivan for a trip to the thrift store. It was in awful shape. Remember our darling kitten I introduced to you back in December. She managed to get herself thrown into the garage one night for punishment and she decided to repay us by climbing onto the highest shelves and knocking over several old boxes including a big box full of plastic Easter eggs that I thought it would be brilliant to save for next year. Thousands of plastic egg parts were consequently littering the floor as well as shredded storage paper, Halloween decorations, Christmas lights, and the contents of a box of happy meal toys that at one time was destined for the thrift store. Ugh. That kitty is outgrowing her cute phase.

So day 1 of the garage studio renovation was completed and I'm happy to say we are well on our way. We have a long way to go. There are still boxes and boxes of junk we need to get rid of. It won't be easy. It won't be quick. I'll post photos along the way. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment