Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lisa on Location joins Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep


Taylor3web
Originally uploaded by lisablaschke
I attended a seminar last night in Austin with the great Sandy Puc. A portrait photographer from Colorado who, in my opinion, is one of the greatest photo marketing minds. She presented tons of ideas to get my name out there and get clients into my studio. Although my studio is the great outdoors, I think I can still use a lot of what she said and apply it to my own needs.

Sandy Puc is also the photographer responsible for beginning Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep -- an organization that sends photographers into hospitals to create professionally done portraits of babies who will never leave the hospital. They were either born with conditions that will not allow them to live off life support, or they were born still. These families are provided with this service at their own request free of charge. It's a way for them to cherish the memory of their child's short life. It's a way of celebrating their life -- however short -- by providing soft portraits without the harshness of the lights and the glaring colors that are often caught in point and shoot images they would otherwise receive.

A friend of mine lost a baby a couple of years ago when he was just a month old after losing a battle with a heart condition he was born with. She recommended I join this group last year but I couldn't bring myself to join because it seemed too heart wrenching. I finally decided last week to give it a try. It was then that I found out who Sandy Puc was. I had signed on for this seminar weeks ago and had no idea of the connection until then.

Thanks Sandy, for all you've done for this and the other charities you've helped and for helping so many photographers learn the skills to use to follow their dreams.

The photo I'm sharing today was shot by my husband and second shooter, Jayme, and processed by myself. Thanks to the lovely Taylor for letting him shoot you!

No comments:

Post a Comment