Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I have a new passion for teaching

When I first took on this teaching project, I must admit I was a little nervous. I've never done well in front of groups of people. I tend toward the shy side and have a naturally quiet voice. I took on the Community Education class because I saw the need for it and wanted to mingle with the public and share some of the exciting techniques I've learned in my own photography education. I had no idea I would have so much fun. The other night's class on composition was one of the most fun hours I've spent in a classroom ever -- as student or teacher. My students are so eager to learn and they have a real passion for photography. It's great to be able to share some of my own knowledge and see their eyes light up when they finally get a concept or learn some piece of useful information. I love it when they grab their pencils to jot down something I just said -- which of course forces me to mentally do a double check to make sure I said that right.

What's also surprising to me is the large turnout we had for this class. It seems to have topped out at 19 people -- pretty much to capacity. I must say I was expecting maybe 6 - 8 when I started. I was hoping for at least four. They had to move us to a bigger space than they originally had planned. Our little class is one of their biggest and NBISD is thrilled about that. They're already making plans for next semester -- that means they want me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment