Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sleeping Like a Baby -- Yeah right! {New Braunfels Baby Photography}

New Braunfels infant, baby and newborn photographer
Some of the images in my newborn gallery are a lie. There it is. I said it. I am lying to you. You think that sweet baby in the photo above is sound asleep? Think again. What about the baby below? Nope.

New Braunfels infant, baby and newborn photographerThe thing about babies is, they do what they want to do when they want to do it. I, as a baby photographer, can predict certain things when it comes to shooting newborn session. Number one, it's going to take a long time and we're going to get very few images that are useable. Number two, you will get wet. Number three, in all possibility, baby may not want to sleep during the session. There are things we can do to encourage baby to sleep. There are times of the day that are better than others. There are conditions we can put in place to persuade baby to sleep. But in the end, it only matters what baby wants. And in a lot of sessions, he wants to stare in wonder at the shiny camera thing in front of his face.

It's easy for sleep-deprived moms to get a bit frazzled when faced with a newborn who won't sleep for a session that requires a sleeping baby. But frazzled moms make baby more awake than ever! Not to worry. Photoshop to the rescue! If baby won't close his eyes, I can close them later. If baby won't stay still, I shoot away and work my magic in post processing. I can remove mom's hands in a snap. I have had easy baby sessions. A few times. There was the time I photographed my cousin's newborn. She slept on a stack of towels and didn't budge. She wore pink fairy wings and didn't wake up. That was the exception not the rule.

Babyies are a breeze to photograph. When they turn 1, however -- well that's another blog entirely.

Lisa On Location Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment