Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Reason I Was Sore All Weekend: An Engagement Session That was Worth the Pain {New Braunfels, Canyon Lake, San Antonio Wedding Photography}

When Liz booked me for her wedding she mentioned that she worked for the Canyon Lake Gorge giving tours. I got super excited imagining all the cool bridal photos we could get. Although she decided not to take the wedding dress down into the gorge, she did decide to take her fiance and make it an unusual engagement session. I'm sure Jacob is grateful for that (I say in my most sarcastic voice).

We sweated our bottoms off walking and climbing through this amazing place! But first I emptied my camera bag of all but the most necessary equipment. And if you know me, you know it was still pretty full. I took down two camera bodies (I always have an extra in case of a malfunction), my 70-200 f 2.8 L, my 24-105 f4 L, three Canon 600 EX-RTs plus a transmitter (because I'm all about lighting), a Cheetah stand and extra batteries of course. It sounds like a lot but it's really the bare minimum. I was limiting myself to two lenses throughout the session (gasp) and I found myself wishing I'd brought my macro along for this shot.



I used the backpack straps on my bag for the first time ever (I usually just wheel it around) and can I just say, ouch! It was actually a pleasant walk into the gorge, but with my gear and the couple carrying their own changes of clothing and shoes, it seemed longer than it should have. The temperature was actually nicer than it could have been. It was in the 90s of course -- this is September in Texas -- but it was only low 90s to start with it. It got higher the later in the morning it got, but we started out okay.

This was my fourth time out to the gorge -- the most recent trip being a catalog shoot for a clothing designer. The previous times were shoots for the art on the wall of the former Schobels Restaurant, which is now River Hofbrau in New Braunfels. I can say with all certainty that even though the gorge is constantly changing, it's still a workout and will always be a workout to get in and out of it.

But the sweat and tears (well maybe it was actually sweat in my eyes and not tears) were worth it.

This couple was a lot of fun to hang out with and I know their wedding next month will be just as exciting (although hopefully not as sweaty).



Lisa On Location Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment