Monday, September 30, 2019

Have Underwater Camera, Will Travel {Austin Underwater Photography}

The surface of my pool has seen better days. It's looking like I'll need to resurface it before next season so I started to think about changing the color of the pool when I resurface it. Currently it's white, which is great for some things, not so great for others.

Most of the time I extract from the white to put my model or client into an ocean or some other water setting to create that illusion. White is great for extracting on some people but not so great on others. It gets harder to extract a fair skinned person, for instance, when their skin is almost the same color as the pool lining. Water is a natural filter for red so a lot of skin tones appear much fairer than they are under the water because you can't see the red in their skin.

So when I went to a party at a friend's house in Austin and saw her gorgeous pool I got curious about it. It's actually a dark gray color. I wondered how that would look under water. She was kind enough to let me shoot a session there so I could consider the coloring for my own pool.

My favorite mermaid in the world was kind enough to volunteer for me (after promising Chinese food and a latte) and I love the results. She quite fair skinned and her hair is mermaid perfect. But I'm biased because she's my daughter.

Feel free to let me know what you think. I'm leaning toward changing my pool color next season after this session.



Here's a little behind the scenes shot to show you the color of the lining before any edits.



And here it is with Keela in the water without any edits.

Lisa On Location Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment