Monday, October 26, 2015

Underwater Photography is a Whole 'Nother Game {New Braunfels and San Antonio Underwater Photography}

We've been in our new house for about a year now. One of the amazing things about the house is the in-ground pool. I started tinkering with underwater photography a few years ago when I bought special housing for my camera to protect it in the water. It was a learning experience, of course. There was so much I didn't know.

One of my favorite brides inspired me to give it a try because she wanted to trash her wedding dress in a pool. That first session several years ago we discovered together that it was really hard. A lot harder than we thought. We worked at it and worked at it together and came up with a few nice images. But for the time we spent underwater, we were hoping for more.

Since then I feel I've come a long way.

I've learned a lot about the technical aspects of underwater photography. How to shoot with a smaller aperture to allow for a larger depth of field. It's hard to focus underwater. I've learned how to coach my clients into getting a better expression under water --how to avoid the puffy cheeks and bubble face. I've learned better tricks at getting these stunning poses underwater.

Underwater photography is a niche market. There isn't nearly as much demand for it as dry ground photography. I do several sessions a year and love every one of them. The most recent one was quite cold in my pool and I'm actually bummed I don't have a heater. Jayme was crazy enough to do an underwater session in the middle of January once. I'm not that stupid -- er brave. I do have one more underwater session on the calendar before it gets really cold. After that I think I'll be taking a break from it until spring.

Lisa On Location Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment