Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Welcome to my 15 minutes {New Braunfels Pin-up Photography}

What's that old expression? "Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame." I think Andy Warhol first said it, or something like it. But nevertheless, I got my 15 minutes on Saturday and it lasted a whole day. That's the day I was featured above the fold on the front page of the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung.

So it's not People magazine, but that's okay. Everything in good time.

It's a step up from my old column in the Brenham Banner Press where I wrote ad nauseam about things that aren't really all that important. And it's certainly better than the old days of patrolling the police beat for the Temple Daily Telegram, where I might get a byline for writing a story about a purse snatching. No, it's better than that! This time I got my face plastered on news stands all over town, with my hair and make-up rocking in vintage style thanks to my friend Laura Myers. And I got the photo credit as well. And that's not all, oh no that's not all. They printed my press release practically word for word. How's that for a triple threat!?

The story is all about the calendar I've been working on to raise funds for the New Braunfels Humane Society. I'll blog more about that later. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to share more of the pin-up images I made for it. But all in good time.

So halfway through the morning, after enjoying a cappuccino at the breakfast table and perusing my story, I meandered out to my local Pilot gas station to pick up more copies of it. While checking out my two additional copies of the newspaper I noticed the lady rang me up for just one. "Excuse me, I'm getting two issues of this paper, not one." I said as I pointed to my face on the front page. "You may wonder why I'm getting two instead of one and it's because that's me, right there on the front page above the fold." The lady looked at the paper and she looked back up at me.

"Were you Alice?" she said.

"Excuse me," I said. "No I'm Lisa."

"I mean are you Alice in that play, Alice in Wonderland?" she said. "And that's why you're on the cover."

"Well no, I'm not in a play. I'm a cover girl like the headline says. I'm a model. And a writer. And a photographer too." I said. "It's sort of a big deal."

She shrugged her shoulders and told me to have a nice day. She didn't ask for my autograph, but that's okay. As I said, all in good time.

Today's paper has something boring above the fold about the city council raising taxes or something like that. My issue was so much nicer. And because I'm feeling generous and don't think I should make you go all the way to the newspaper office to pick up a back issue, I shall print the original press release right here.







Pin-ups for Paws Calendar Raises Funds for New Braunfels Humane Society

September 4, 2014

New Braunfels is already buzzing about the production of an unconventional pin-up calendar featuring models and pets to raise much needed funds for the New Braunfels Humane Society. The calendar has generated excitement along with a few disapproving comments on the Society's Facebook page in recent weeks. But most of the response has been overwhelmingly positive, says Amanda Craig, vice president for the board of directors of the society.

The full calendar will be unveiled at Billy's Ice House on October 5 at 6 pm. The models, photographer, and some of the pets featured will be on hand to sign autographs and meet and greet supporters of the calendar.

The society got 60 new likes on their page in one day when someone made negative comments about the calendar on a local New Braunfels e-mail list. And dozens of Facebook users jumped in line to purchase a calendar, Craig said.

The calendar will feature 12 local businesses, one for each month, and 15 models from New Braunfels and the surrounding areas.

“The calendar project is different from other fundraisers because not one dollar was taken from our funds to make it happen. Usually there are some upfront costs associated with this type of thing,” said Craig. “Twelve local business each purchased a calendar month which gave us the needed funds for production and printing.”

The pin-ups were photographed by Lisa Elliott Blaschke of Lisa on Location Photography, who donated all her time and talents to the project. Blaschke incorporated classic pin-up style by studying some of the master pin-up artists of the mid 20th century. She also worked with the sponsors to incorporate their ideas as well to create one-of-a-kind pin-up art representing each business, Blaschke said. The pin-up images are family friendly, she said.

All of the models are volunteers and the animals featured came from the shelter or were the pets of models, board members and sponsors.

“People came from all around to help us make this a reality and we are deeply grateful to each and every one,” Craig said.

The calendar has already pre-sold a large percentage of the 500-copy print run. Calendars can be ordered for $20 through the society's Facebook page www.facebook.com/hsnbainc

Brigete Bardot once said “I gave my beauty and youth to men. I am going to give my wisdom and experience to animals,” said Craig. “In our case we drew from the wisdom and experience of an amazing group of people. We combined that with the beauty of adorable animals and put it all in a 12X12 calendar that is sure to raise both funds and awareness for our shelter. I think Bardot would be proud.”

Lisa On Location Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment