Monday, July 18, 2011

The adventures of the most boringest summer ever {New Braunfels photography}.

Balloon family portrait photography in New Braunfels, San Antonio and Austin"This summer is so boring," my 12-year-old daughter/assistant confessed to me while on the way to our most recent photo session. She squeezed the rubber chicken prop she held making that sickly squawking sound the children in my sessions love and that drives the adults crazy.

"Excuse me?" I asked. Surely she was joking. Surely she couldn't be serious. Forgive me for my ignorance. I was under the assumption that "boring" meant absolutely nothing to do. My summers were often spent at home locked out in the backyard with a water hose and a barbie doll because my dear Daddy didn't want us watching endless hours of Alice and The Jeffersons in reruns. Don't get me wrong, Barbie did plenty of swimming and waterparking those summers in my back yard. We turned sprinkler games into an art form and found 101 places to tinkle in the woods behind our house without having to beg to go inside. But after endless day after endless day, that my friend, got boring.

This summer we started out fresh from our Spring Break cruise to Jamaica. Boring, my daughter tells me, except for the times she was with the teen club on the ship. Then we whisked away across the country to visit the Grand Canyon ("boring"), Las Vegas ("yawn"), Route 66 ("please"), Meteor Crater ("it's just a big hole"), the Petrified National Forest ("when will be actually see the forest?") and Roswell ("okay that was cool").

We then whisked her away to a week of Hermann Sons Camp after which she cried all the way home because she didn't want to come back to us. She has had sleepovers, movie dates with friends, swim team, pizza parties, went to the midnight opening of Harry Potter and has season passes to Fiesta Texas, which we use quite frequently. Up next on the agenda is a week of Girl Scout archery camp and more sleepovers.

I'm baffled at what it takes to entertain an adolescent child if my feeble attempts at summer fun are falling short. On the plus side, she said she's ready for school to start. She prefers the drudgery of math class to the water slide I suppose. I know some day she'll appreciate the fun she had this summer. I took plenty of photos to remind her of all the stuff she didn't do these past couple of months.

Me, I'm exhausted. It's a lot of work keeping three children busy for three months, and we're only halfway through. I don't know how their teachers can stand it. How many days until August 22?

Lisa On Location Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment