Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Wish for Peace and Love and all that other stuff


summerlove
Originally uploaded by lisablaschke
This is the time I'm supposed to sit down and reflect on the past year and tell you how thankful I am to have been so busy and to have been such a big part of the lives of so many people. I am thrilled really, but I'm not finding much time for sitting down, reflecting, and writing about it.

I do have a few minutes now. Although, I have some gingerbread in the oven, a child at my side begging me to play Buffy the Vampire Slayer with him on PS2, and about 16 GB of photos needing editing and sorting.

The holiday rush is almost over. I have a couple more sessions scheduled before the end of the year and a few more orders to fulfill and then I can call it a year. I really am thrilled to be so busy. It doesn't feel like work to me because I enjoy it so much. I'm thankful to be able to provide my children with gifts this Christmas when so many others don't have that luxury. I'm especially thankful to be able to help other families preserve the memories of their children and loved ones.

This year I've been a part of many weddings -- shared precious private moments with couples in love and their families. I've been honored to be present at the birth of a child, captured the senior portraits of some beautiful children as they enter into adulthood, and shared some precious moments with teeny tiny babies only moments old who are now walking and running and exploring the world. I am honored.

Once again, this Christmas I will turn my camera on my own family and record those priceless moments of wonder on my childrens' faces Christmas morning. I'll record my mom in the kitchen, with her Christmas apron, as she bastes the turkey and decorates her famous apple pie. I'll record my mother-in-law as she sets out acres of side dishes and mixes up her amazing slushy punch. I'll record my husband Jayme as he wrestles with the thousands of twisty ties that hold the toys in place. God forbid any piece of the toy not be tied with triple knotted wire to the inside of that box! I'll capture our little kitty Summerlove, seen in the photo I'm sharing above, as she pulls the garland, yet again from the tree and shreds it to pieces.

And I remind you to pull out your own camera and capture those moments in your family as well. Because even though the toys will eventually get old and be thrown out or passed on. And the food will be consumed and forgotten, and the sweater you got for your Aunt will eventually be out of style and discarded, the photos will live on. And they will always bring those precious memories back.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some gingerbread to pull out of the oven and some vampires to slay with my son.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment