Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back to the grind


Beach26web
Originally uploaded by lisablaschke
Every year I take off one week -- just one week -- to spend with my family doing the whole vacation thing. Last year we went on a cruise to the Caribbean and next year we're going to Disneyworld. So this year we decided to stay close to home -- because we're still broke after last year and to save our money for next year. We hit the local beaches of Rockport, Port Aransas and then swung by Galveston to check out what Hurricane Ike left for us. The answer to that former is not a lot of Oak Trees. I was most saddened by all the hundred year old oak trees that are now dead or dying. It's going to take a long time for the island to recover from that hurricane. I was happy to see that Murdoch's a.k.a. Mermaid's Pier was being rebuilt. I was saddened to see that all remains of the Balinese are gone forever.

The photo to the right that I decided to share today was taken on the pier at the Rockport City Beach. The park is a nice place to take children because of the gentle surf and the many many yards of shallow, ankle deep waves before you get to the deeper water. There are also countless playscapes to amuse the little ones all day -- my toddler took it as a personal challenge to conquer each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment